Deformed or protruding ears is a significant issue that is not often paid attention to until it becomes a source of distress. A child with prominent ears is often the target of bullying and then come comparisons to characters that are deformed in much larger proportions, the burden of which has to be carried throughout the childhood.
Deformed or protruding ears can be a cause of great psychological distress for both children and adults, whoever be the sufferer. Due to insecurities that stem from aesthetically displeasing ears, most patients seek plastic surgery. However recent advancements have made it possible to get rid of prominent ears without having to suffer excruciating pain.
Causes of protruding ear
- Genetics: Genes have a big role to play when it comes to this ailment as people with prominent ears often share this with others in the family.
- Present from birth: Most ear deformities are congenital, meaning they are present from birth.
- Injury: In rare cases, protruding ear may also develop from trauma or disease.
Treatment for the protruding ear:
- For children under 6 months of age, non-surgical methods are used to treat protruding ear
- Otoplasty: For older children and adults, surgical intervention is required. In this procedure, the anatomical deformity is determined and is performed under general anesthesia. Otoplasty has been known to achieve remarkable results, the only downside being the extent of pain suffered by the patient as the cartilage goes under the knife for repairing the shape of the ear.
- Implants: Now a brand new procedure that is a 20-minute painless incision is being opted by more and more patients. In this, implants are inserted under local anesthesia that corrects the ears’ prominence. What makes this procedure special is the rapidity, as well as immediate correction.
Protruding ears are found in both genders equally, and do not lead to or are associated with any other syndrome. However psychologically, protruding or deformed ears can make life miserable. Speak with your medical practitioner over what course of treatment to take to get rid of prominent ears, and build your life anew.