Overview Of Cancer Treatment
Best hospital for cancer treatment in India categorise oncology in different levels but surgical oncology, on simple terms, deals with the surgical management of tumours and cancerous tumours. With advancement in medicine, this branch has evolved and has proven to be the cause for a lot of breakthroughs in medicine. Oncology and its many branches, in the lay man’s view can get very confusing to understand. Therefore, best hospital for cancer treatment in India usually categorise oncology itself on the following levels:
- Medical oncology specializes in treating cancer with chemotherapy (the use of drugs to kill cancer cells, usually by stopping the cancer cells’ ability to grow and divide) or other medications, such as therapy and oral (in pill form) chemotherapy.
- Surgical oncology specializes in the removal of the tumour and surrounding tissue during an operation. A surgical oncologist also performs biopsies (the removal of a small amount of tissue for examination under a microscope).
- Radiation oncology specializes in treating cancer with radiation therapy (the use of high-energy x-rays or other particles to kill cancer cells).
Role Of Oncologist
On the whole, oncologists are responsible for the care of patients, right from cancer diagnosis to the treatment of course of the disease. The oncologist’s role includes –
- Explaining cancer diagnosis and stages (a description of where the cancer is located, if or where it has spread, and whether it is affecting other parts of the body) to the patient
- Checking out the treatment options and suggesting the best course of treatment
- Making sure that high-quality, expert care is delivered
- Helping in the maintenance of the patient’s quality of life by managing cancer-related pain and other symptoms or treatment side effects, such as constipation, nausea and vomiting, and fatigue
As one of the many technologies the management of cancer, the specialty of surgical oncology, with innovations in modern medicine is largely coming up as cancer treatment with a chance of success. This has evolved in steps similar to medical oncology (pharmacotherapy for cancer), which in turn grew out of haematology. To further the reach and consolidate success, The Ewing Society known today as the Society of Surgical Oncology was started by surgeons interested in promoting the field of oncology. Despite not having a specialty Board certification, this specialty coming to its own by the success of combined treatment with chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and targeted biologic treatments. Moreover, the convergence of cancer centres will continue to better the field, and developments in minimally invasive techniques, palliative surgery, and neo-adjuvant treatments. While looking up for the best hospital for cancer treatment in India, it is highly recommended that you consider the above factors and make a well evaluated choice that will help you come back to your feet in no time.You can get more clear view by watching this video.